Life!...it's phases of excitement...,exhileration..., happiness and then -... the more mundane... intolerance..., impatience... and unfortunately just plain ignorance!

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Not at the Fifa world cup

I am currently watching the Germany vs Poland game...77 minutes over and no joy for either side so far. A lot of missed chances and great goalie efforts. Earlier the Tunisia vs Saudi Arabia which drew 2:2 at the end was initially a very sluggish quest. The mostly irish commentators on the tv coverage I am watching were struggling to hide their boredom and perhaps annoyance at having to watch the match. I sensed their envy of what I suppose they consider lesser teams participating in the challenge and their irritation that they are not at the cup. On Ivory Coast, Angola and Ghana the sportscasters were loathe to acknowledge any skill within the teams and were more keen on pointing out how inexperienced, disorganised and unable to finish their plays. (Germany has just won 1:0 Wohoo!) I felt rather patronised by their commentary ... then I rationalised that perhaps not knowing much about African and Arab soccer players was probably why they had to resort to their scolding comments. (That is said tongue in cheek by the way).

Otherwise summer is here - I will never get over 10 pm sunsets - the African in me just can't deal.

2 comments:

POTASH said...

Okay, I am reading this and there is a game going on and the TV is so loud downstairs...to think that this is a library!
I am not really into footie...
Welcome to blogger

W. said...

The commentators can eat their words after Ghana won! I really want them to beat the US coz that's all they ever talk about over here... Anyways, thanks for visiting with me and welcome to blogger.